“Saturday Night Live” comedian Pete Davidson will no longer be heading to space on Blue Origin’s next flight, the company announced Thursday evening.
Lia Thomas of the University of Pennsylvania became the first transgender athlete to win an NCAA Division I title after finishing first in the women’s 500-yard freestyle championship. ESPN reports.
The world’s second oldest profession – overseas shipping – is getting smarter: Nautilus Labs has raised $34 million in a Series B to support its AI platform for the shipping industry .
Hundreds of people are still trapped under a theater in Mariupol, Ukraine, which served as a civilian shelter before it was shelled by Russian forces earlier this week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a television address Friday.
Cross River Bank is raising $600 million in new funds led by Andreessen Horowitz and Eldridge Industries at a valuation of over $3 billion, per Bloomberg.
The last: Blue Origin has delayed the launch date by six days to March 29 and said in a tweet that “Pete Davidson is no longer able to join the NS-20 crew for this mission.”
State of play: Thomas finished with a time of 4:33.24, followed by Emma Weyant, who clocked 4:34.99. Erica Sullivan was third in 4:35.92.
Why is this important: Nautilus’ tool promises to reduce costs for shippers by reducing fuel consumption, improving planning and, most importantly, reducing emissions.
The last: Lyudmyla Denisova, Ukraine’s top human rights official, said 130 people had been rescued of the destroyed building from Friday. This would represent only a small fraction of the more than 1,000 people, including children, who city officials said were inside the shelters under the theater at the time of the strike.
- T. Rowe Price and Whale Rock Capital Management are also participating, according to the report.
Details: The round was led by both M12 – Microsoft’s venture capital fund – and the Microsoft Climate Innovation Fund, marking the first time the two funds have co-invested.
- The company announced earlier this week that Davidson was to fly its March 23 mission, its fourth flight into space with human passengers.
- Thomas finished about nine seconds off Olympian Katie Ledecky’s record of 4:24.06.
- Other investors included NSS Advisors, Systemiq Capital, Root Ventures, Quiet Capital, TMV and Amplifier.
- Officials also said earlier this week that rescue operations have been complicated by near-constant attacks on the city by Russian forces.
Why is this important: The deal shows that the same investors who spend money in the crypto and fintech sectors see an opportunity for growth in a traditional bank that serves them.
- The company said it will soon announce a replacement crew member to join Marty Allen, husband and wife duo Sharon and Marc Hagle, Jim Kitchen and George Nield on the rocket.
What she says: “I didn’t have a lot of expectations for this encounter,” Thomas said after the race Thursday night, per PA. “I was just happy to be here and race and compete as best I could.”
What is happening: The “Voyage Optimization” platform allows shipping companies and ports to coordinate better, and ship operators to adjust their plans based on weather conditions, port congestion and other factors.
What they say : “There are still hundreds of residents of Mariupol under the rubble. Despite the shelling, despite all the difficulties, we will continue rescue work,” Zelensky said during his speech, according to a translation of Reuters.
What he does: Cross River operates as a licensed regional savings and loan bank with a single branch in Teaneck, NJ
- Those who have flown into space with Blue Origin include Bezos himself; his brother Mark; actor William Shatner and television personality and journalist Michael Strahan.
To note : Thomas declined to attend the NCAA-required post-race press conference, saying she’s trying to “block out” distractions and trying “to focus on my swimming, which is what I need to do to get ready for my races,” per ESPN.
- Ships tend to cross the seas at the fastest optimal rate, so even when “slow sailing” at low speeds to save fuel, they often end up hanging around in port until a berth is found. opens.
A few days before the bombardment, Maxar Technologies had captured the Donetsk Regional Drama Theater in the port city of Mariupol in a satellite imagewhich showed the word “children” written in Russian in large white letters in front and behind the theatre.
- But like many community banks, Cross River has built a lucrative business by expanding its banking, payments and lending capabilities to a number of fast-growing fintechs.
- Blue Origin has carried a total of 14 passengers into space since its first flight with human passengers in July 2021.
- Thomas could potentially face action from the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships Committee for ignoring him, AP reports.
- These normal delays have been exacerbated by port constraints which have caused huge queues at ports around the world and shippers trying to take advantage of exorbitant freight prices.
- The distinct red-roofed theater is also relatively far from other buildings in a park.
- The company claims to have generated more than $55 billion in loans since its inception in 2008 and counts Coinbase, Affirm, Stripe, Upstart and Rocket Loans as some of the fintech partners it has signed up.
How it works: The New Shepard space system is designed to take passengers approximately 62 miles above the Earth’s surface.
Catch up fast: Last month, the NCAA paved the way for Thomas to compete at nationals after saying it would not change its policy on eligibility requirements for trans swimmers.
By the numbers: ocean vessels account for 3% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
The big picture: Russian forces indiscriminately besieged and shelled civilian buildings – including a children’s hospital – in Mariupol for several days, leading to shortages of food, water and medicine.
Rollback: This is not the first time that Cross River has taken on venture capital funding: in 2018, it raised $100 million in a round led by KKR, with participation from CreditEase, LionTree Partners, Ribbit Capital, Battery Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz.
- The passengers experience a few minutes of weightlessness before the capsule descends to Earth using parachutes.
- The agency allows each sport’s governing body to decide eligibility requirements.
- These emissions and air pollution have increased – in places like the Port of Los Angeles, air pollution has doubled – as ships would have ran 22% faster to reach port, only to sit idle for days offshore.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross said on Sunday that the city, once home to around 430,000 people, faces a “worst-case scenario” unless humanitarian corridors can be opened.
To note : Cross River differentiates itself from other charter charter community banks in two main ways:
Go further: Blue Origin launches William Shatner, 3 others in space
- USA Swimming says trans women must maintain testosterone levels below 5 nanomoles per liter for at least 36 months to be allowed to compete.
- Nautilus says its platform can help shippers reduce their fuel consumption by almost a third, or about $50 billion worth of fuel, or 1% of emissions.
Go further: Russia strikes aircraft facility in Lviv, shattering the city’s relative peace
- First, it has built a tech stack that doesn’t rely so much on banking as a third-party service or treasury services to bring in its partners.
Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with new details.
Between the lines: There is no evidence to suggest that having higher testosterone levels gives athletes an unfair advantage.
What they say : “We saw a more than 12% reduction in fuel simply by giving people better predicted confidence about how to handle a trip,” CEO Matt Heider said. says Axios. “Those ships didn’t need to be there, because there’s nothing else to do but wait. And I can guarantee you that every ship that was waiting there at anchor could have gone just as slow.”
- Second, while many rental charters focus primarily on banking and payment services, Cross River has leaned into lending, which is a more profitable business.
Alan Neuhauser will co-author the Axios Pro Climate deals newsletter. Join the waiting list now.
Go further: Elite trans athletes speak out against ban on youth sports